Deputy Director of Corporate Communication
Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS) is the government parastatal whose responsibility is to assure the quality of agricultural inputs and produce to prevent adverse impact on the economy, the environment and human health. Vision: Healthy plants, safe trade and sustainable aggro-environment for a prosperous Kenya. Mission: To provide a science based regulatory service by assuring plant health, quality of agricultural inputs and produce for food security, globally competitive agriculture and sustainable development. Core values Customer focus Professionalism and Integrity Teamwork Results oriented Innovation and Creativity Corporate social sustainability Strategic Objectives To protect plants from pests, weeds and invasive species. To facilitate review and strengthening of the policy, legal and regulatory framework, so that it is in tandem with both local and international agricultural sector emerging issues. To contribute towards improved levels of agricultural productivity. To support compliance to market requirements. To build adequate technical and infrastructural capacity to facilitate efficient and effective delivery of the KEPHIS mandate. To mobilize adequate financial resources and ensure optimal allocation and utilization to enable full implementation of planned programmers and activities. To enhance synergies through information and resource sharing with stakeholders and partners. To enhance the visibility and corporate image of KEPHIS
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall supervision of all human, financial and material resources of the department;
- Overseeing the development and implementation of a brand manual for the Service;
- Developing and ensuring compliance with the corporate identity of the Service;
- Overseeing the development and implementation of a communication strategy for the Service;
- In charge of formulating and implementing creative communication strategies and public relations programs;
- Overseeing the regular update of the Service’s website;
- Overseeing the promotion of a positive corporate image of Service to the public through promotions and campaigns;
- In charge of all public relation activities in the Service;
- Overseeing the branding and promoting the Service nationally and internationally;
- Building synergy and enhancing collaboration between the public sector and private sector institution;
- Identifying and creating good working relations with all possible development partners;
- Managing and appraising departmental staff and identifying their training and section needs;
- In consultation with the MD, managing and handling all negative publicity about the Service; and
- Overseeing management of customer complaints in the Service.
For appointment to this grade a candidate must have:
- At least ten (10) years’ experience in Corporate Communications in the public or private sector, five (5) of which must be in a management position;
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or mass communication, public relations or its equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Mass Communication or Social Sciences from a university recognized in Kenya;
- Management course lasting not less than four (4) weeks;
- Post Graduate diploma in Journalism, mass communication or its equivalent from a recognized institution; if the degree is not in Journalism or mass Communication;
- Professional qualification and membership in a professional body in good standing where applicable;
- Proficiency in computer applications;
- Compliance with Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya.
- Proficiency in computer applications;
- Communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Report writing skills;
- Negotiation skills;
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work;
- Demonstrated ability to implement Quality Management Systems.
Method of Application
Applicants should visit the online portal located in the Careers section of KEPHIS website (www.kephis.go.ke) to submit applications electronically. Clearly indicate the position and the vacancy number on the subject line, with a detailed curriculum vitae, certified copies of academic and professional certificates, transcripts, national identification cards and any other supporting documents (as pdf attachments) not later than 13th February, 2024 at 5.00 p.m.
KEPHIS is an equal opportunity employer. Potential candidates from marginalized communities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to avail their original and certified copies of the relevant certificates & transcripts and original national identity card during the interview.
- Successful candidates must obtain and submit valid clearance certificates from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA); Higher Education Loans Board (HELB); Directorate of Criminal Investigation and an approved Credit Reference Bureau as per Chapter six of the Constitution.
The Managing Director
Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS) P.O. Box 49592-00100