Business Development Manager
B Lab is a non-profit organisation that serves a global movement to redefine success in business, so that all companies compete not only to be the best in the world, but the best for the world. B Lab drives this systemic change by building a community of Certified B Corporations to make it easier for all of us to tell the difference between "good companies” and good marketing. To become a B Corp business are certified by B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. B Lab East Africa has been established by the founding East African B Corps to build awareness of the movement in AFrica and represent our growing community. There are over 20 B Corps in East Africa. Founding B Corps include; Daproim Africa, ECO2LIBRIUM AND OLIBERTE We launched the B Corporation movement in East Africa in January 2017
About the role:
- As a Senior Business Development Certification Associate at B Lab Africa, you will play a vital role in driving new business opportunities for B Corp Certification, nurturing client relationships, and managing the sales pipeline. Your primary responsibility will be identifying and pursuing new business prospects, establishing and maintaining strong client relationships, and ensuring efficient sales process management. This role is crucial in expanding B Lab’s reach and impact across Africa. The ideal candidate should have experience in the sustainability, impact measurement, SDGs or climate ecosystem.
New Business Development:
- Focus to grow the community of Certified B Corporations in Africa, with key markets including Kenya, South Africa, Egypt and Ghana
- Identify and research potential clients, markets, and industries for B Corp certification opportunities across Africa in particular, companies with revenue >$5MM or are known for industry leadership.
- Develop and execute strategies to generate new leads and opportunities.
- Engage in proactive outreach, including cold calls, emails, and networking, to attract new clients.
- Create and deliver compelling presentations to potential clients to meet expected targets, goals, and KPIs
- Cultivate and maintain strong, long-lasting client relationships while growing the B Lab community in Africa. This includes organizing and attending regular industry-relevant events.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to clients, understanding their unique needs and aligning our certification services with their goals.
- Address client inquiries, concerns, and feedback in a timely and professional manner.
- Collaborate with other teams within the B Lab global network to ensure the highest level of client satisfaction and to give expertise on the regional context.
- Managing the verification pipeline in Africa for companies working on B Corp (re)certification.
- Build and maintain a sales pipeline to track opportunities and their progress.
- Prioritize leads and opportunities, ensuring timely follow-up and engagement.
- Provide accurate and timely sales forecasts and reports to management.
- Collaborate with the marketing team to develop and execute campaigns that support the sales process.
- Stay informed about industry trends, competitors, and market dynamics.
- Share insights with the team and management to help inform strategic decisions.
- Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, or a related field.
- Proven experience in business development, sales, or client relationship management.
- Experience in sustainability, impact measurement, SDGs or climate ecosystem is essential.
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Driven and motivated to be a top performer
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a client-focused mindset.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance, and as part of a team - with the ability to be proactive, collaborate and work well with others regardless of position, background or geographical location.
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficient in CRM systems to keep track of all activity, KPIs, and results
- Passion for development and sustainability in Africa.
- Proven experience working with/in Multinationals and companies with annual revenue of $5 million+
- Proven experience working with company executives and management teams
- Ability to travel as needed and attend after hours work events
Method of Application
If you are a motivated and results-oriented individual with a passion for business development and client relationship management, we invite you to apply for the Senior Business Development Associate position at email@example.com quoting in the subject line the ‘Senior Business
Development Associate-Certification’ and attach a maximum 500-word cover letter stating your expected salary, detailed CV, e-mail address and telephone contacts.
To be considered, your application must be received by 18th February 2024. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.